What Happens to Your Brain and Your Muscles as You Age?
According to the book “Healthy Aging for Dummies”, your brain and muscles change!
- “Muscles take longer to respond to brain signals in your 50s than they did in your 20s. As a normal course of aging, you begin to lose the muscle fibers that are responsible for making you move quickly. The speed of transmission of impulses from the brain to the muscles also slows down, so it takes longer to get the signal, “Hey! Move it!” Your muscles also can’t repair themselves as quickly as they used to, due to a decrease in enzyme activities and protein turnover.”
- “The water content of tendons (the cord-like tissues that attach muscles to bones) decreases as you age. This change makes the tissues stiffer and less able to tolerate stress.”
- “Your heart muscle becomes less able to propel large quantities of blood quickly through your body. As a result, you tire more quickly and take longer to recover.”
Do your muscles and your brain go thru a general memory loss as you hit the ripe old
age of 50? Yes! As you learn more about the brain in the aging process, you will find
the old gray mare ain’t what she used to be! As a normal course of aging, you begin
to lose the muscle fibers that are responsible for quick action and movements. Nerve
impulses are conditioned to act certain ways because of old learned patterns,
adaptations to stress and prior injuries. We have found that the various injuries we
have had throughout our life affect the brains communication to the muscles. It is not
just the aging process. The signal is not turned off, but turned down. When you try to
move the muscle, the response is met with pain, incorrect movement pattern or as
found by “Healthy Aging for Dummies”, just slower.
So What Can We Do?
1. The pattern in your brain that occurred when you were injured has been repeated billions of times in your everyday life and must be corrected. There are multiple methods we use to reactivate damaged muscles, and damaged nerve communication. Part of this restoration system uses the acupuncture system with pressure (no needles). light, sound, re-education of the muscle nerve connection as well as other modalities that teach your brain new healthier patterns.
What you can do: Your posture is the way your brain communicates how trauma, injury or bad posture have been converted to ineffective habits that can cause you pain and stress. You change poor posture into stronger healthy posture by making small changes in the way you hold your body when you sit in your chair, stand relaxed, or walk with a brisk arm and leg movements. If you are slumped over a computer or sitting, arch your back the opposite way and practice tightening your stomach muscles several times a day, particularly as you get up from a chair.
2. Then doing little mini exercise routines throughout your day. This way you are giving your brain a new healthier exercise program that will carry over into creating some newer better posture habits. Your senses as well as your muscles and nerves are used to retrain your brain through Neural Organization. A fancy word, but very simple to do. Athletes love this process, because they perform so much better!
Old Age does seem to temporarily regress to a younger age after several sessions. People of all ages love this process because they are more stable and their bodies respond with greater range of motion and less pain.
What you can do: Repetition is another way to change the program between your brain and your muscles. That is why physical therapy works. Use your muscles in a new repetitive way such as making sure your heel hits the pavement first and the toes are not too turned out like a duck. You can sing or count to yourself as you do this. The more you use the muscles correctly, the more your brain remembers and uses that newer pattern.
3. Special Types of Exercise is the key, but it needs to be exercise that your body needs and will accept easily. Science is finding that the jogging and exercising too vigorously wears out joints and uses up enzymes. Simple movements done correctly, retrain the brain to use the muscle groups in a better way. How would you find out what exercises you need to change your health? Your moving posture is analyzed to find the improper use of your muscles. Next individual exercise plans are recommended and demonstrated to strengthen the muscles that have not been used correctly. This takes the load off muscles that have been overused and misdirected causing you pain and discomfort. You begin the anti-aging processes to regain more energy and renewed health.
What you can do: a) take walks outside in the sunshine as much as possible; b) wear supportive shoes and proper arch supports; c) Walk swinging your arms in a natural, fluid way; d) This will exercise many important muscles to support and renew health; e) Gently stretch your legs for a few seconds after walking.
4. Your muscles and your brain need fuel to work properly. As we age we absorb less nutrients from the food we eat. Today level of nutrients in foods we eat are not providing all the essential material we need to stay healthy. Because the foods are grown on depleted soils, processed, and contaminated with added chemicals to make them last longer on the grocery shelves, the quality of the food you choose to put in your body has become crucial to maintain a healthy body. We use Biochemical Individuality Testing to determine what each person needs in regards to diet, enzymes, exercise, supplements. These are different for each person.
What can you do: Do everything in a more balanced way. If you are eating a lot of carbohydrates – sugar, breads, even vegetables, try adding some lean organic protein to each meal. If you eat a lot of protein, you can add more vegetables. We tend to “go over-board” with the things that are not best for our Body Type. Be sure to take enzymes when you eat cooked food.
There are many ways to assist you in maintaining a healthy body. Use natural healing methods that focus on anti-aging and maintaining health instead of using the current trend to medicating and surgery as the only answer to handling aging of your brain and your body. Find out what some of the simple, safe changes you can make to be healthier until it is time to leave this planet.